Re: ITP: purity-offensive

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 07:00:49PM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
[snip]

> What if we shipped the base fortune package with a small cookie file that
> contains a couple of dozen tips for using the Debian system?  Kind of like
> those annoying pop-up "Tip of the Day" windows that some M$ apps use
> (except fortune only runs on demand, of course).  Since these would have
> technical content fully germane to the usage of our OS, they would easily
> qualify for inclusion in the main section.

In fact, this was exactly in the spirit of the proposition. Moving out the
"extra" data from main without removing the functionnality of the package.
Data can be think like a level below Optional and Extra.

> Of course, one of the cookies provided could advise the user how to obtain
> the other fortune cookie packages.

Can we suggest package of lesser priority? Elsewhere, the Enhanced field
should be welcome for this kind of packages. Or at least a dselect who can
merge data/contrib/non-free sections into the main equivalent.

> Just a thought...
>
> --
> G. Branden Robinson              |   America is at that awkward stage.  It's
> Debian GNU/Linux                 |   too late to work within the system, but
> branden@ecn.purdue.edu           |   too early to shoot the bastards.
> cartoon.ecn.purdue.edu/~branden/ |   --Claire Wolfe

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70