Re: ITP: purity-offensive

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 08:01:27AM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:
>
>    On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 10:52:47PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>    > I'm going to package the sex related purity tests non included in the
>    > purity package.
>
>    What?  You mean the existing purity package has no "sex-related" questions?
>
>    What, then, pray tell, is the point?
>
> (Both of) you apparently missed the discussion a long time ago when
> this came up before.  I suggest a little research in the debian-devel
> archives.
>
> (Not that I don't agree with you.)

It appears that most of the discussion were held on debian-private.
The other parts are in Nov 97.

My summary (from debian-devel) (and comments)
* Legal problems in some countries
	Often a problem with packages. Debian should try and develop some global
	solution to legal problems instead of piecemeal like now.
* Somebody might object to buying it with Debian
	Someone might object to buying GHC (because Microsoft had a hand in it),
	too. In fact, I bet more people would get annoyed about alleged
	Microsoft code than the purity test.
* What does this program do to increase the quality of Debian?
	An attack that could be leveled against many of the packages of
	Debian. In general, if someone wanted to package them, we don't
	worry it. In particular, I believe that if it is installed, it
	will head to about midrange of the popularity contest.
* It's not fun, it's just sick
	Many disagree. It's always interesting to know, say, that Jay has a 69
	and Patti a 93. I found taking them very interesting.
* Violence is okay to have, but not sex stuff
	Again many harshly disagree. Cf. Heinlein's _Time Enough for Love_ for
	the pro-sex argument in literary form.
* It has no redeeming value
	"The Bible is the most evil book ever written." - Thomas Paine
	A viewpoint I'm inclined to agree with. Again, this is straight value
	clash.
* Bruce doesn't like it
	Seemed to be the deciding factor.

I'll also point out that all of these (except the last) can be applied to
fortunes-off & kjv-bible (which has its own sick sex parts.)

David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org