Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 08:24:13AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     Trying to keep this inane BS through because Justin doesn't have the
> brains to take the precautions himself and he got burnt.  He found out he is
> an amateur.  He worked in a non-redundant environment and got burnt.  As a
> result he now wants to impose precautions upon all Debian installations when
> in a majority of cases for two very specific reasons which I have related
> *SEVERAL TIMES* THEY ARE NOT NEEDED!!

I really don't like this. Please stop with the personal flames, and if you
have anything technical to say, do that. I don't want to bother the good
people on this list with this kind of nonsense.

You have no idea what I was doing when I noticed the problem, and you
really ought not to presume that you do.

For what it's worth, I noticed the problem on an unimportant machine which
I upgraded from slink->potato knowing full well that unstable might crash,
and was a little peeved that it crashed, but it cost me nothing, as it
was an absolutely inessential machine.

I have yet to use any kind of Linux on a server that actually matters, due
to my fairly conservative nature. I have had Linux on various desktops for
five years or so now; and I would like to use it a server, but require
a bit more confidence in it first.

I raised the whole issue not becaue I got burned, but because I wanted
to see an improvement in reliability such that I might begin putting
Linux (and Debian in particular, of course) on my servers.

You obviously don't agree with me; you obviously have your own opinions,
and though I may not think that your opinions have been particularly
well informed, I am no longer going to try to convince _you_ of anything,
since it just leads to these obnoxious and annoying messages.

So, please be content in your beliefs and stop with the flames.

Justin