Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

* Steve Lamb said:

> > you would never make it a default well known password unless you were just
> > really stupid--the only sensible default password, in the absence of the
> > user specifying one (which in fact they do, during the install) is to
> > use "*" as the default password.
>
>     Uhm, what is root's password, by default, on a newly made Debian system?
Hmm... Have you ever installed Debian? If you did, you would know that you,
with your own fingers type the root password.

> Are you now going to assume that the person is going to switch passwords
> before installing packages?  *cough*
Why "a person" a script can do it for him.

>     Face it, sash can be set to a well known default password because root
> WHEN INSTALLED IS SET TO A WELL KNOWN DEFAULT PASSWORD.  SO, SMARTY-PANTS, IF
> YOU JUST USE ROOT'S PASSWORD, WHAT DO YOU HAVE?  ***A WELL KNOWN DEFAULT
> PASSWORD!!!***  Geez.  Do I have to spell it all out for you or are you going
> to eventually engage the supposed brain of yours and think for more than
> "Mmmm, must get more beer.  *BRAP*"
Well, diagnosis is complete - you are a self-assured moron who doesn't
listen, just shouts.

> >If you are spending all day long running commands as root, spend the
> >extra 1 second to type "bash" and stop complaining.
>
>     OK, so, let me get this straight.  Now you want a statically linked ash to
> be in memory while you do all your work in bash?  You don't see a problem with
NOT IN MEMORY YOU IDIOT! In an emergency there's a static ash available on
DISK just in case you need to invoke some POSIX shellscript.

> that?  You love wasting other people's memory, don't you?  Care to toss
> another 512Mb my way, since you obviously have more than you know what to do
> with.
Goddamit!!! Better go back to your RPG games - that's where you're probably
the best and always win.

> > you can get bash going; if it isn't working, you're glad you didn't have
> > something dynamic as your shell!
>
>     Memory...  Thanks for the memory!!!
You need a brain, not memory.

> > Once again you are just saying all this, re-read what you just wrote and
> > note that it is all just opinion.
>
>     Is it now?  Your solution forces an increased memory load, possible
> security holes, added complexity to *every* Debian system just for the benefit
Where is that increased memory load, security holes??

> > That's a very controversial thing to say--in what way would it be
> > "detrimental" to the majority? Go back and read all the posts where I
> > argued against the notion that it costs anything other than disk space
> > before you answer.
>
>     I did, it's all bullshit.
So what the fuck are you still doing here?! Go away and stop making noise
down here!

> > The vast majority of Debian users can afford the disk space; the very tiny
> > small number who can't can choose not to install it.
>
>     Who are you to make that decision?  Where are your figures to back up that
> the vast majority of Debian users can afford the disk space?  What critiera
> have you set?  Have you cleared this with each administrator of each Debian
> install?
Dammit! And who are YOU to make the opposite decision? Where are YOUR
figures to contradict what Justin and others are saying? What critieria HAVE
YOU set? Have YOU cleared this with each administrator of each Debian
install?? I guess that in your mind YOU are the Unix God Himself!!

marek