Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

* Justin Wells said:

> Oops, you're right, and I knew that. Someone else said that, and it
> must have infected my brain.
:))

> Of course you can have whatever you like as roots shell.
>
> I think either having sash as roots shell, or having a static ash with
> sash available somewhere would be reasonable. The attraction of ash is
> that it's a Bourne shell, so old-time Unix users may be more comfortable
And it's POSIX-compliant and has much lower memory footprint that bash, even
as compared to a dynamically linked one.

> with that when they connect with root. Obviously the advantage of sash is
> it has all those tools built in.
> I really think it doesn't matter what roots shell is, providing there is
> a way to get on as root, or become root, at the times when you need the
> static stuff.
Exactly. sash is for the command-line operations and for the basic tools it
has built in and ash is for the scripts which need POSIX-compliant and fully
capable interpreter.

marek