Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 12:19:24PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> * Michael Stone said:
> > Better how? You've made the easiest step of the whole process marginally
> > easier by saving four words of the explaination. The process is
> > mechanically just about identical. And now the person is sitting in
> > front of a prompt like this:

> Hello? Are we on Earth, or I'm missing something? Ever had to deal with a
> rookie and trying to explain to him how the boot process works and that he
> has 2 secods to type "so many strange things"?

Yeah, you're missing something. It seems to be a habit in this thread.
This is an excerpt from the manual you could have looked at yourself:

  Immediately after it's loaded, LILO checks whether one of the following
  is happening:

    - any of the [Shift], [Control] or [Alt] keys is pressed.
    - [CapsLock] or [ScrollLock] is set.

  If this is the case, LILO displays the boot: prompt and waits for the
  name of a boot image (i.e. Linux kernel or other operating system).
  Otherwise, it boots the default boot image* or - if a delay has been
  specified - waits for one of the listed activities until that amount of
  time has passed.

So the newbie has to hit *one* key during bootup, then you take as long
as you need to explain the rest of the process. I don't consider *one
key* to be "so many strange things."

Mike Stone