Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

* Justin Wells said:

> > Potato is unstable. Unstable is, by definition "fragile". No one running a
> > production machine is ever encouraged to use packages from unstable.
>
> I'm not complaining that it actually crashed here, so much as I am
> complaining that this is just a disaster waiting to happen, whether
> potato is marked stable or unstable--it's fundamentally in there.
And, as I said before, dynamic linking can break anywhere, not only in an
unstable distro.

[snip]
> So, I have been running Linux systems for five years now, and administered
> all kinds of Unix stuff, and generally consider myself to be an experienced
> Unix person.
>
> So what the F*!@<+ is going on, where are static binaries? Why aren't they
> installed by default? Why aren't they used by core system tools?
>
> Let's look at other OS's: RedHat has, by default, a suite of static
> binaries installed just for this purpose--including a static rpm.
> Solaris has a bunch of static stuff in /sbin. All the BSD systems
slackware had them from the beginning as well...

> > While staticly linked binaries would have avoided the recent brokenness in
> > bash. It is not the solution to a "fragile" development process.
>
> Yes it is, because bash is a hugely complicated and large program that
> changes regularly. Eliminating a fundamental dependency on that, for
> everything the installer does, is an enormous reduction in the number
> of failure points. Huge.
Exactly. And if the posix compliance is an issue, then ash should be used.
The problem is that many scripts have a lot's of bashisms in them, but that
is being dealt with right now, as I recall.

> The existence of dependencies such as this one makes the whole thing
> fairly fragile, subject to being broken every time some human makes
> an error in its vicinity. Since humans are prone to make errors, that
> makes things fragile.
And a standard shell linked to ncurses... It gives me creeps, frankly...

> It also makes a running Debian system fragile, because unless I went
> out of my way to install the sash package, I'm going to be unable to
> recover.
That's why sash should be there as a part of a base system and with an
already configured bootmanager to enable it's use after reading the initial
README of the Debian distro.

marek