Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

* Raul Miller said:

> > Dynamic linking only breaks when there is something wrong. Building a
> > distribution is a coordinated integration task, and when all of the
> > pieces-parts aren't compatible for one reason or another problems like the
> > recent bash failure show up...and then we fix it.
>
> On the other hand, Debian's documentation on what to do when the
> system goes south is rather limited.
Well, it's one thing. Another thing is that the ways out available now, are
too complicated for USERS - and they constitute the majority of audience,
whether we like it or not.

> [We do have a "boot with the rescue disk" comment somewhere, but
> there's no signficant cookbook of advice for dealing with common
> situations, and we have no useful recommendations for headless
> machines.]
>
> Maybe in my fabulous free time...
Why not add the relevant boot option to the bootmanager and say in docs:

"If the system doesn't boot, if the usual shell prompt doesn't appear do
just that (assuming LILO is used):

  1. on the LILO: prompt type "emergency" and tap ENTER
  2. system boots with a limited set of utilities and an emergency shell
     which you can use to diagnose the problem and file a bug report or
     plea for help."

regards
  marek