Re: ITP: libnet-ssleay-perl, webmin

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 05:07:55PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 3 August 1999, at 16 h 53, the keyboard of Gergely Madarasz
> <gorgo@caesar.elte.hu> wrote:

[snip]

> > I've contacted the author about this licence problem, I'll try to convince
> > him to switch to a DFSG-compliant licence. Until then I won't package it.
>
> I already announced an intent to package, but did not work much on it. So,
> if someone more courageous wants to take it... In the mean time, I got a
> clearance from the author (Webmin is so non-free that Debian needs a
> special authorization to be distributed).

>From the DFSG:
    8. License Must Not Be Specific to Debian
       The rights attached to the program must not depend on the
       program's being part of a Debian system. If the program is
       extracted from Debian and used or distributed without Debian but
       otherwise within the terms of the program's license, all parties
       to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights
       as those that are granted in conjunction with the Debian system.

> PS: a free alternative to Webmin (no, no Linuxconf, no) would be appreciated.

Agreed.

-- Nathaniel