Re: Debian Xconfigurator?

On Sat, Jul 24, 1999 at 01:33:15AM -0400, Robert Edmonds wrote:
> In case the Debian Xconfigurator project needs any monitor specs I have a
> whole bunch (which I blatantly stole from AcceleratedX with a hunk of
> perl) at

Since they came from a commercial source, you should probably indicate the
license that allows you to distribute this data.  Otherwise people may be
reluctant to use it.

> http://irc.novare.net/~edmonds/monitors/monitor-specs
>
> which is a bunch of monitor specs, one monitor per line, each field
> separated by tabs. (fields are Manufacturer, Model, Max Res., Horz. Sync,
> Vert. Refresh)

I'm surprised that even AccelX's configurator believes the myth that
monitors have a maximum resolution.  There is no such thing--higher
resolution can always (within reason) be achieved by sacrificing other
considerations.  Further, the suggested maximum input rate would be nice.

<rant>
Why is it so hard to get one's hands on the numbers necessary to properly
configure a monitor?  And why are video configurators (yes, including
Windows') so primitive and limited compared to the possibilities?
</rant>

Anyway, if these numbers encourage someone to improve the Xconfigurator, I'm
most grateful.

Andrew
(running XFree86 at 1512x1134, 76 Hz)