Re: Modified start-stop-daemon and possible boot logo (was: Translation of init scripts)

On Jul 14, Edward Betts wrote:
>  +------------------------------+
>  |                              |
>  |                              |
>  |                              |
>  |                              |
>  |        [Swirl here]          |
>  |                              |
>  |                              |
>  |                              |
>  |                              |
>  | Starting J Random Server ... |
>  +------------------------------+
>
> It would probably be a bad thing if this used svgalib, requiring the movement
> of lots of svgalib stuff to /lib from /usr/lib, the correct way to do it would
> be using framebuffers. In case like this one start-stop-daemon would have to
> know whether the machine was booting or whether it was an individual daemon
> being started, like after a package upgrade. I suppose it could be written to
> try and comunicate with the boot logo program, and if it not running display
> the message normally.

This makes me think of an interesting extension of this idea. Just think
if we could boot this way:

 +------------------------------+
 |                              |
 |                              |
 |                              |
 |                              |
 |        [Swirl here]          |
 |                              |
 |                              |
 |                              |
 |                              |
 |                              |
 +------------------------------+
 Booting Debian GNU/Linux...

 +----------------+
 +----------------+

 +----------------+
 +----------------+

 +----------------+
 | Apache logo    | Starting Apache...done.
 +----------------+

and so on. Each package could have a logo that it would show on boot, of
a standard size so as to line up the boot messages, and to make things
prettier overall. The project's logo could be used (like Apache's) or a
generic one (like the keyboard map loading) but either way it would be
a very quick way to see what is going on. Of course this would have to be
implemented with framebuffers (unless someone came up with a cool ASCII art
way of doing it), a hacked start-stop-daemon, and a logo in every package
that is going to have something in /etc/init.d/ (probably a change in
policy would be required for that)... but it would be really cool to see
your machine boot up this way :)

Cheers, James

--
James Curbo <jcurbo@acm.org> <http://users.ipa.net/~jcurbo>
undergradute computer science/math student - Henderson State University