Re: On names of people (was: Re: Please check my translation)

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 07:26:33PM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> I was told by Kelemen Peter, when I met him in Tampere earlier this year,
> that it is an international convention to write your name like you've
> accustomed to, but capitalise your last name.  So, I'd be Antti-Juhani
> KAIJANAHO, you'd be Branden ROBINSON - and I had met KELEMEN Peter.

Ah.  I suppose it is too much to hope that many folks want to part with
that tradition...it looks to me like people are shouting parts of their
names.  :)

In any case, I think it would promote more cultural education if people
just had to learn other people's conventions for writing their names.

After all, if somebody called me "Mr. Branden" in an email or other
correspondence, I would just calmly tell them that my last name is
"Robinson".  I find that much less off-putting than yelling my last name at
everyone.

But it is probably too much to ask for complete mixed-case names, alas,
as some folks are probably as wedded to upcasing their last name as I am
to not upcasing mine.  So the shouting will continue. :-/

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   The only way to get rid of a temptation
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   is to yield to it.