Re: KDE liscence question

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 10:48:44PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > In the case of KDE, this is not what the authors want, therefore they
> > have a right to change their license.  There may be pitfalls in doing so
> > (they can't just borrow GPL code at will anymore) but they can't do that
>
> They never could. The situation is no different with QPL or before.
> Each and every bit of GPL code requires specific exceptions.

Quite right.  However a chance in licenses would make sure that everyone
was aware of that---even the "I don't care about licenses, I just code"
types.  =p

> > If that's not good enough and given that it's the only option, I must
> > concolde that NOTHING AT ALL that can be done will satisfy you, in which
> > case this discussion is at best pointless.
>
> You've missed Francesco's point completely. If you have to change
> the license for every bit of GPL code, that's a never-ending task.
> The correct solution is to fix the KDE/QT license.

You think you can convince Troll Tech to use the GPL for Qt over their
license, go right ahead.  I don't think you're going to convince them
however.  What I am doing is the only possible course of action--fix the
KDE license.  There may be more GPL code KDE wants to use at some point,
it'll then be up to them to get the permission they need.

If you don't like KDE's license, DON'T USE IT.  However, I will not let
anyone tell me that I am bad to try and make a piece of free software
actually free and distributable.  If that makes me a heretic and a
blasphemer, so be it.  KDE is free software.  Qt v2 is free software.
They have a license compatibility issue.  I offered to help resolve it.
They accepted my offer.  If anybody has a problem with that, it's THEIR
problem, not mine.

> > Let's see...  They wrote a license, it was non-free.  I re-wrote the
> > license and it was free.  Gee, talk about insignificant contributions!
>
> Is the term "FIGJAM" an Australianism?

probably.

Basically, I want people to know that when they use binary-only modules,
it's THEIR problem.  I want people to know that in their bones, and I
want it shouted out from the rooftops.  I want people to wake up in a
cold sweat every once in a while if they use binary-only modules.
        -- Linus Torvalds