Re: KDE liscence question

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 06:00:44PM +0200, Francesco Tapparo wrote:
> > The KDE people are a very loose group all around the world. Try to get
> > them together and sign a paper allowing for a new license, or try to
> > get a pgp signed mail from every one, especially the once that don't
> > have email anymore or died inbetween.
>
> FACT 1: The KDE people choose to steal GPL code
>
> FACT 2: The KDE people choose to license their code as GPL (probably only to
>         pretend to can use other GPL code)
>
> If _the_KDE_people_ can resolve their problem: fine. Otherwise sorry: "chi
> e' causa del suo mal pianga se stesso" (an italian proverb: "which caused
> his misfortune must complain only against himself").

You know something?  While you're sitting here calling everyone involved
with the KDE project malicious thieves trying to subvert us and make free
software proprietary, SOME of us are trying to fix the problems,
including removing GPL code not written by the KDE team if an arrangement
with the authors of the code cannot be made.

This obviously isn't good enough for you, but it's quite obvious that
nothing short of a firing squad for everyone who has ever tried to do
anything with and for KDE (that would probably include me given that I
wrote the QPL) will satisfy you.

And while you are busy rebuking the foul demons of non-GPL software
(after all, any software that isn't GPL can never be free enough!  In
fact Debian calling software under other licenses "free" makes Debian a
bunch of blasphemous heretics!) you neglect to see that some of the
strongest opponents to non-free software---namely Alan Cox and your
Messiah Richard Stallman have both said that while the QPL is not GPL
compatible, it _IS_ free software and the remaining compatibility issues
should be hashed out with the copyright holders of any significant
borrowed code.

Either you're part of the solution, you're part of the problem, or you're
silent on the matter.  You're sure as hell not being silent and you have
not made one constructive comment that would lead to any sort of
resolution in the matter.  Therefore you're part of the problem.

If you want to see anything positive for free software come of this whole
KDE mess you can either help me and those few like me who still want the
problems fixed actually DO SOMETHING or you can shut up and let us do it
alone.

* Twilight1 will have to hang his Mozilla beanie dinosaur in effigy if
  Netscape sells-out to Alot Of Losers..