Re: KDE liscence question

On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 04:35:11PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 01:33:07PM +0200, Francesco Tapparo wrote:
> > > Then we should distribute KDE on second CD.
> > > Really.
> >
> > No, QT is not a system library (even X is not a main component of the system).
>
> Agreed.
>

> > > The best solution might be to distribute KDE as non-US part of Debian.
> > > Many of european vendors distribute non-US on separate CD. Why
> > > couldn't we do the same with KDE?
> >
> > The best solution would be to not distribute KDE. But if you really really
> > want to put KDE in Debian, you can do the following:
> >
> > remove all the GPL'd code copyrighted by non KDE-people, and the
> > redistribute the modified code. Moreover remove all the problematic code
> > (for non commercial use code etc.).
> > Then we can distribute the remaining code.
>
> Or convince the "donors" of significant chunks of code (whether they
> realize they have donated it or not *g*) to grant permission for their
> code to be used with Qt.  Any solution that really truly fixes the
> problem will require this anyway.

NO, please. The __KDE__people__ must substitute the code they stealed.
Otherwise the message we give is:

Yes, our code is GPL'd, but if you break it do'nt worry: we'll donate it to
you.

The KDE people have already written a lot of code: they can sure substitute the
stealed code.

> All right, all right...  I'll work on the license today.  It will be

The wrong answer to the correct question.

--
Francesco Tapparo                                 tapparo@mat.unimi.it
GNU fanatic                                       cesco@debian.org