Re: KDE liscence question

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 07:58:04PM +1000, Craig Sanders did spake thusly:
> Of course, that would still leave us unable to distribute any of the
> pre-existing GPL-ed code that they modified for KDE...which is why the
> BEST solution would be for Qt to be released with a GPL compatible
> license.

IMHO, the GPL is the problem, perhaps what should be done is to try to
get the FSF to release version 3 of the GPL that allows linking with any
DFSG code. Since virtually all GPL code is released with the clause "or any
later version of the GPL", that would most likely solve the KDE problem, as
well as preventing any future problems.

Unfortunately, because the FSF is even more stubborn than KDE or Troll, the
correct solution to the problem seems unlikely to eventuate. :(

> yes, the QPL does look like it will be DFSG free.  No, it still won't be
> legal to distribute GPLed code which has been linked with it as it is
> not compatible with the GPL.

The GPL is so incompatible with everything else that if it was a piece of
hardware you'd throw it out. ;)

Not that I don't like the GPL, it's just situations like this that show
just how much of a point the BSD people have when they call the GPL and
evil virus...

- Shane King <thandor@ihug.com.au>     <ICQ#:2492866>
             <http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~thandor/>
--
If there was any justice, my face would be on a bunch of crappy merchandise!

		-- Homer Simpson
		   Flaming Moe's