Re: KDE liscence question

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 08:17:42PM +1000, Shane King wrote:
> > Of course, that would still leave us unable to distribute any of the
> > pre-existing GPL-ed code that they modified for KDE...which is why the
> > BEST solution would be for Qt to be released with a GPL compatible
> > license.
>
> IMHO, the GPL is the problem, perhaps what should be done is to try to
> get the FSF to release version 3 of the GPL that allows linking with any
> DFSG code. Since virtually all GPL code is released with the clause "or any
> later version of the GPL", that would most likely solve the KDE problem, as
> well as preventing any future problems.
>
> Unfortunately, because the FSF is even more stubborn than KDE or Troll, the
> correct solution to the problem seems unlikely to eventuate. :(

They aren't going to do that, RMS and I have been discussing that.

> > yes, the QPL does look like it will be DFSG free.  No, it still won't be
> > legal to distribute GPLed code which has been linked with it as it is
> > not compatible with the GPL.
>
> The GPL is so incompatible with everything else that if it was a piece of
> hardware you'd throw it out. ;)
>
> Not that I don't like the GPL, it's just situations like this that show
> just how much of a point the BSD people have when they call the GPL and
> evil virus...

Virus yes.  Evil?  Hardly.

Writing non-free software is not an ethically legitimate activity, so if
people who do this run into trouble, that's good!  All businesses based
on non-free software ought to fail, and the sooner the better.
        -- Richard Stallman