Re: Esound and x11amp

 Edward> On debian-devel, Shane King <thandor@donut.dhis.org> wrote:
 >> I had this trouble - solved it by grabbing the source, and
 >> compiling with esd support enabled - that way it doesn't need
 >> esddsp. Hence I don't think it's omething worth fixing re
 >> esddsp...
 >>
 >> Perhaps it should be compiled by default with esd support? Or does
 >> debian not want to "force" people to install esd to use sound
 >> software?

 Edward> esd = enlightenment sound DAEMON

 Edward> It should be loaded at startup from `/etc/init.d/esd start'
 Edward> like all the other daemons. ALL sound related programs in

No it really shouldn't.  It should be started by someone
running/logging into X at the console.  I don't want Joe random User
accessing the sound daemon when I'm at the console.

Not all daemons are started that way.  fetchmail has a daemon mode.
It isn't started that way.  Don't let you impression of a name decide
what a program should do.

 Edward> debian should use esd. The binary sound producing apps that
 Edward> have no support for esd should be replaced with shell scripts
 Edward> that run `esdctl off', run the program, then run `esdctl on'.

No, they really shouldn't.   It would be nice if they did, but there
is no good reason to require esd to use sound.

Dres

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@ioa.com>         |  Blessed Be!
@    http://www.ioa.com/~dres           |  Linux is kewl!