Sound support under Linux

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 11:02:53PM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:

> After all, Linux is a multiuser, multitasking OS, it deserves the ability to
> play multiple sounds at once.

Doesn't ALSA support mixing also? I would like to propose that we define a
standard library for sound access. The libesd might be a good starting point
as there are many patches for sound apps to use esd instead of /dev/dsp.

Then we could provide a package libnoesd, which links instead of the libesd
and directly accesses /dev/dsp (or whatever).

Comments?

cu
    Torsten