Re: calling Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> [the long version]

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 01:24:53AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
>
> > Until then, you should realize that some of us don't have money for
> > the bigger and better ISPs.  When it comes right down to it, we have
> > what we have because it's all we can get.
>
> oh, quit yer whining. sharing the costs with a dozen or so friends, it
> costs bugger all to set up a machine on a static IP here in australia
> and internet connection charges here are ridiculously high.
>
> club together with a bunch of other people and run your own bloody
> server on a static IP...just make sure it's secure against 3rd party
> relaying and you'll have no problems (use ssh or uucp or something to
> get mail securely from your system and onto your mail server).
>
> there's a million different ways of doing it, including several which
> require bugger-all money - just a bit of ingenuity and work setting it
> up.
>
> > This means we can't rely on their servers---fine.  We can run our
> > own servers!  You want to punish me by causing not just yourself but
> > entire ISPs full of people to be unable to receive mail from me simply
> > because I cannot afford a better provider.
>
> no, that is completely wrong. nobody wants to punish you. the world
> doesn't revolve around joseph carter, and we don't conspire to oppress
> you and thwart your mail deliveries.
>
> at worst, you could say that we are indifferent to your plight. we

Indifference to the plight of the majority is ipso facto a conspiracy to
oppress. Forcing the majority to conform to onerous conditions where some
mail servers are good and others are evil, just doesn't improve the overal
functionality of the communication.

> (whoever this "we" is) are sick of spammers, and your desire to use your
> own mail server on a dialup IP address rather than your ISP's mail relay
> is inconsequential compared to our desire not to receive spam.

Such IP addresses are also completely orthogonal to the issue of spam.

> if you really want to send mail to a system protected by a DUL, then
> nobody is stopping you. all you have to do is use your ISP's mail relay
> or make some other arrangements.

I DO USE MY ISP'S MAIL SERVER/RELAY! It is that very reason that my mail
was bounced. mail.polaris.net, a long time mail server, is on the list,
not because it is an "open relay", but because a bug in sendmail causes it
to fail the test used by ORBS. My ISP has apparently tried to deal with
the problem, with no success. Anyone who wants to supply some help to them
will be a real hero. (support@talstar.com)

Waiting is,

Dwarf