Re: Why is ..... ? (/var/www, in this case)

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 11:11:24PM -0500, David Welton did spake thusly:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 11:46:33PM -0400, Shaleh wrote:
>
> > /var/www has been standard on web servers since early days.
>
> I've seen it done differently almost everywhere I've been, actually.
>
> I just want a FAQ that I can hand to people to say "this is why we did
> it this way".
>
> "If it makes sense to have web in /var, why isn't ftp there too?"  For
> example...
>
> We should document these things so that when we move on, people don't
> have to ask why we did it a particular way.  I don't have any problem
> at all with where /var/www is, that's just an example.

The one I've always found strange is that www is under /var, but cgi-bin is
under /usr/lib ... how does that work? :)

- Shane King <thandor@ihug.com.au>     <ICQ#:2492866>
             <http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~thandor/>
--
Marge:	Homer, is this the way you pictured married life?

Homer:	Yup, pretty much.  Except we drove around in a
	van solving mysteries.

		   A Milhouse Divided