Why is ..... ? (/var/www, in this case)

Do we have any repository for rationales of "policy" decisions?  For
instance, I'd like to see why we use /var/www, but I can't find that
anywhere.  I think I have all the doc packages installed where it
might be located, however, I'm not having any luck.

It would be good to centralize something like this, so as to be able
to easily reference these sorts of "why is .....?" questions.

I don't see this in the FAQ, although it might make a good subsection,
and policy doesn't seem to explain this sort of thing either,
so... hmm don't know where it might go.

Thanks,
--
David N. Welton            <   Sors immanis - et inanis - rota tu volubilis,
davidw@prosa.it            >  status malus - vana salus - semper dissolubilis,