Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

*Dave Neil wrote:
> At this moment we're concentrating on i386. That does not rule out the
> possibility
> in the future that we would do other platforms. That said, by working closely
> with Debian at the system level, it would be possible for you to port the
> setup-api to other platforms. As far as applications  go, I think it's to soon
> to say what's the best way to go as far as other platforms.
> Issues of time, cost, demand, etc, all have to be weighed in.  Even though we
> are building upon your work, and that of others, there is still the need to
> start carefully and get at least the i386 platform right.

	I really like the idea of getting something very slick for the bulk
of recent i386 hardware combos.  If I understand correctly, this is more or
less what Corel want.  I think the resulting enthusiasm, momentum and
visibility can only help in expanding the efforts for the rest of Debian
architectures in the future. Of course, text install for combinations that
don't work will be necessary.
	Re: boot floppies and QT2.  I guess there is no way around except to
try to ask the boot floppies authors to include an exception clause. If they
do not want to do this, it will have to be gtk or the framebuffer gui (I
know nothing about this last thing).

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org