Re: XML as a standard UNIX config file format (Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn)

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 12:54:10AM +0200, Gerhard Poul wrote:
> Every program is configured in the same way... There is only one config file
> format... that's the only difference...

Well make this syntax not format. The problem of data types and semantical
dependencies is still not solved, as well as missing documentation wont be
solved, too..

Ah..btw... berlin consortium is very XML affine, and I think it would be a
good idea to start new projects on a common syntax (and i still winder why
Xresources is so badly missunderstood and unused). I think it might be an
API problem (and no, SAX is not a usefull API for programmers who want to
read config data easyly). rpmopt, gnome-properties, even .ini files do have
an better API (for config data, not for XML parsing :)

Greetings
Bernd