XML as a standard UNIX config file format (Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn)

Robin Stephenson wrote:
>The disadvantage, of course, is that *every* program would have to be
>ported to use XML as its config file format.

This is a disadvantage? I say let's dig in :)

UNIX *badly* needs a common config file format, and we might as well start
now.

And, I daresay, sendmail.cf could be XML'd rather simply. Seeing as XML would
be able to store random line noise quite effectively, storing a sendmail.cf
wouldn't be too far from that. :)

(seriously - store the sendmail.m4 metadata)
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"Now we'll have to kill you." -- Linus Torvalds