Re: XML as a standard UNIX config file format (Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn)

On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 02:57:07PM -0000, Robert Woodcock wrote:
> UNIX *badly* needs a common config file format, and we might as well start
> now.
Why? The config formats of the different unix config files is used because
different application needs different information structures.

> And, I daresay, sendmail.cf could be XML'd rather simply.

Hu? What is the difference between a Tag <myname> and a tag M: if you enter
both with a config program?

An XML PArser is very heavy wighted and I dont see a Reason for it. Each
config file will still have different strucutres and tag names which you
have to learn. Personally I prefer a /etc/hosts with 3 columns over an XML
file with a lot of nesed tags I cant work on with grep or shell tools.

Greetings
Bernd