Re: [mingp@corel.ca: Anyone in Debian working on or following IPP to make it available on Linux???]

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 09:59:52PM -0400, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>   Joseph> I'm interested in printing and Linux, however I haven't a printer yet.
>   Joseph> I have heard that setting up printing to the point that everything that
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I thought it was your mission to combat FUD, not to spread it?

By all means, please point me at correct information.  I should have made
it more clear that I was not sure this was the case (though that I don't
have a printer yet should have indicated that I didn't have experience
with such things) and I'm interested because if it's as bad as I've been
told (I'm guessing you're telling me otherwise here) then something that
makes the task easier is a good thing.

>   Joseph> CAN print just knows how to and does so sanely either just doesn't work
>   Joseph> in Linux, or is an absolute PITA to set up unless your printer happens to
>   Joseph> be an Apple LaserWriter or similar PostScript printer.
>
> Nonsense.
>
> In short, basically any printer that works via ghostscript is
> supported. More details are in a HOWTO.  Install the magicfilter
> package, and basically everything understood by file(1) can be printed.

Cool.  Glad to hear that, and I look forward to hopefully sooner than
later testing this out.  =>

"I can't eliminate crime, but I can sure as hell eliminate one criminal!"
        -- Darien Lambert, Time Trax