Re: German Dictionary (fwd)

Andreas Tille <tille@physik.uni-halle.de> wrote:

>> I agree. It's especially great, that it is based on a dictionary
>> which is under GPL. At the moment I use a different dictionary
>> which doesn't have any copyright notice, to it is useless for
>> Debian.

> Do you talk about the wordlist which can be obtained from
> ftp.th-darmstadt.de together with some perl tools to handle them?

I talk about
ftp://ftp.math.uni-hamburg.de/pub/misc/dicts/en-de.ISO-8859-1.vok.tgz
and the shell script (and elisp program) to access it.

>> grep is a very fast program, so perl may be a good alternative but
>> it shouldn't be a problem to keep using sed/awk/grep.

> Do you have any idea to do the 7/8-Bit conversion with this tools?

I'm not completely sure, how this could work (neither with perl nor
with other programs). Searching for "Straße" is trivial, but what
about a search for "Strasse"? Maybe the program should search for
"Stra(ß|ss|sz)e" (RegExp) in this case and when finding a match do a
reverse check.

This isn't trivial because there are words like "Massen" vs. "Maßen"
(the latter one should be written as "Maszen" when using 7bit)...

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF