Re: German Dictionary (fwd)

On 28 Apr 1999, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:

> I agree. It's especially great, that it is based on a dictionary which
> is under GPL. At the moment I use a different dictionary which doesn't
> have any copyright notice, to it is useless for Debian.
Do you talk about the wordlist which can be obtained from
ftp.th-darmstadt.de together with some perl tools to handle them?
Since several month I have a directory with the start of packaging
stuff but never found the time to do the final work.  I asked all
authors listed and those who responded had no problems putting it
under GPL.

> Huh? I had a look at version 1.6 which comes with a database which
> uses 8bit iso-8859-1 encoded umlauts. The installation process
> converts these 8bit chars to 7bit (ä -> ae, ß -> ss,...).
... sorry, it was late in the evening when I looked at it.
This is the way it does and all "magic" is left :).

> I also don't think that this trivial conversion should be done at
> installation (blowing up the database), but it should be done at
> runtime.
... that's why I suggested perl because I think it would be easier
because of its mighty regular expressions.

> grep is a very fast program, so perl may be a good alternative but it
> shouldn't be a problem to keep using sed/awk/grep.
Do you have any idea to do the 7/8-Bit conversion with this tools?

> I haven't the time to do this at the moment and I'm not completely
> sure about the features I want/need. So I personally will use the
> program as is for some time to find out which features are missing...
>
> One feature I miss is the chance to add private words to a private
> dictionary (somewhere in my home), when I search for a word, which
> doesn't exist in the global dictionary. In this case I often consult
> the Langenscheidts dictionary and when I find a word there, it isn't a
> problem to add it to a private dictionary. It would be great to have a
> way to provide those entries back to some person/server which
> integrates them into the dictionary for later versions, but this is a
> different question.
I think so.  If I managed packaging (if noone else wants it! ... my
time is rather limited in the next weeks/months) I would
contact the author and suggest this for future versions.

> Another which is the way steak terminates. At the moment it sleeps for
> 30 minutes or is terminated by Ctrl-C. I would prefer to terminate it
> by pressing enter and I additionally would prefer to use a pager for
> viewing the entries (especially with long "Kontext" lists)...

Kind regards

        Andreas.