Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

"Brimhall, GeoffreyX L" <geoffreyx.l.brimhall@intel.com> writes:

> I think the case can be made that for novice users they don't need to
> interact with the dpkg install questions.

Yup, this is the biggest problem with Debian - and it is why I'm very
surprised that Corel chose to base their distro on Debian.  IMHO, Debian
is a very poor choice to base a "user friendly" installation on,
because you would have to rewrite the install scripts of half of the
packages.

> 3. Which X server to use. I believe the reason dpkg requires asking this is
> because debian has a unique, and more secure, way of linking the
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X to the X server through the /etc/X11/Xserver file. Couldn't
> XF86Config be made more intelligent to automatically do this ?

Which X server to use, which window manager to use, what the default
dictionary language should be, the name of the default irc server.
All of these questions are asked multiple times during install.
Moreover, the default profiles seem to install many unnecessary window
managers, but they don't install all of the window managers. Compare
Red Hat or OpenLinux, which probe your machine and install and
configure the correct X server.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu