Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

On 21 Apr 1999, Steve Dunham wrote:

> "Brimhall, GeoffreyX L" <geoffreyx.l.brimhall@intel.com> writes:
>
> > I think the case can be made that for novice users they don't need to
> > interact with the dpkg install questions.
>
> Yup, this is the biggest problem with Debian - and it is why I'm very
> surprised that Corel chose to base their distro on Debian.  IMHO, Debian
> is a very poor choice to base a "user friendly" installation on,
> because you would have to rewrite the install scripts of half of the
> packages.

I second that motion. We are working on a distribution based on debian
as well. Debian needs a grace full way to have packages indicate
that they need intervension before they are configured. Anyone?

> > 3. Which X server to use. I believe the reason dpkg requires asking this is
> > because debian has a unique, and more secure, way of linking the
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/X to the X server through the /etc/X11/Xserver file. Couldn't
> > XF86Config be made more intelligent to automatically do this ?
>
> Which X server to use, which window manager to use, what the default
> dictionary language should be, the name of the default irc server.
> All of these questions are asked multiple times during install.

This problem will be solved in our distrib.

> Moreover, the default profiles seem to install many unnecessary window
> managers, but they don't install all of the window managers. Compare
> Red Hat or OpenLinux, which probe your machine and install and
> configure the correct X server.

ditto. As our distribution will be open source I hope debian will
adopt our changes.

| R Garth Wood                    | Making waves...                     |
| Stormix Technologies Inc.       |                                     |
| rgwood@stormix.com              |                                     |