RE: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

I think the case can be made that for novice users they don't need to
interact with the dpkg install questions.

When I've done the install on a new system, I always use the default
settings settings for the packages (basically, just hitting enter as I go
along), except for 3 packages.

The following packages require my intervention, but in these cases I can
argue that either the packages don't need to be installed by default, or
they should be made a little more intelligent:

1. gpm - usually need to configure the mouse settings. However, lately I
have been finding I automatically always run X so I *wish* that gpm was not
installed by default !
2. exim (the default mailer). Most novice users are going to use a graphical
mail client such as xfmail, kmail, or the gnome mail client. These *do not*
require an smtp server running on the machine ! I do realize that it is
useful  to have the system mail the machine's admin on server failures, but
this could be set as a default configuration for exim.
3. Which X server to use. I believe the reason dpkg requires asking this is
because debian has a unique, and more secure, way of linking the
/usr/X11R6/bin/X to the X server through the /etc/X11/Xserver file. Couldn't
XF86Config be made more intelligent to automatically do this ?