Re: Idea: a way to use /dev/modem symlinks safely

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> There has been some discussion about this on the FHS list, and the
> issue has recently come up again. The consensus seems to be to use
> a liblockfile which makes the lockfile using the real devicename,
> and perhaps a symlink with the other name as well.

That came up on this thread too - it seems that Fabrizio Polacco is the
author of liblockfile and a debian developer. :-)

I think it'd be a good idea to first modify at least one other program to
use the library just to make sure it works ok, and shake out any bugs, and
if all looks good we could start a policy proposal that all relevant
programs should use it.

--
see shy jo