Re: Idea: a way to use /dev/modem symlinks safely

Previously Avery Pennarun wrote:
> Here's my thought:  rather than creating a lockfile for the filename of the
> requested device (eg. /dev/modem --> /var/lock/LCK..modem) we can create a
> lockfile for the target of the symlink (eg. /dev/modem --> /dev/ttyS2 -->
> /var/lock/LCK.ttyS2).

There has been some discussion about this on the FHS list, and the
issue has recently come up again. The consensus seems to be to use
a liblockfile which makes the lockfile using the real devicename,
and perhaps a symlink with the other name as well.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl