Re: Idea: a way to use /dev/modem symlinks safely

On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 07:48:43PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > There has been some discussion about this on the FHS list, and the
> > issue has recently come up again. The consensus seems to be to use
> > a liblockfile which makes the lockfile using the real devicename,
> > and perhaps a symlink with the other name as well.

The ideas of that guy (who came out on fhs-discuss rewriting the lib)
are not completely right, I would say they are broken :-)
He miss the fact that mknod can create any number of devices anywhere.
It seems that he thinks that you can only make a symlink inside /dev .

My opinion is that he has to make some paper or thesis for some study
... he annoyed some people also on the serial mailinglist :-)

> That came up on this thread too - it seems that Fabrizio Polacco is the
> author of liblockfile and a debian developer. :-)

s/liblockfile/liblockdev/g

> I think it'd be a good idea to first modify at least one other program to
> use the library just to make sure it works ok, and shake out any bugs, and
> if all looks good we could start a policy proposal that all relevant
> programs should use it.

just installed liblockdev-0.10  (compiled on slink).
If someone else wants to use it in other packages, just drop me a note
and I'll be very happy to help.

This would make me enough confident to put it on freshmeat also :-)

perl people should really try the perl package and tell me opinions.
Should I also make a shell version? What about pyton and java?
:-)

fab