Re: Perl modules and perl upgrade

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 07:57:52PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
<snip>
> > > Does it make sense to set the unversioned perl library path to be last
> > > in @INC in perl5.005, so any modules that were not upgraded will be
> > > found there ?
> >
> > No, there are some massive issues with that which makes it more of a
> > headache then (IMHO) its worth..
> > (Incompatible stuff, among other things)
>
> Heu ? Added at the end of @INC is a good thing imho.

I highly disagree, and you gave a perfect example of why in your message
which I just replied to.

> Because packages that have been updated will use the new modules and
> other packages may be found in the old directory (and may work if the
> module is architecture-independant).

And the older packages very well may not work at all!!

> But I will say nothing if /usr/lib/perl5 won't be in @INC ...

The unversioned (current) directorys will not be in my scheme..

Zephaniah E. Hull..

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801
    Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.