Re: Perl modules and perl upgrade

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 02:06:56AM -0800, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:
<snip>
> >I'll try a summary but I may be wrong on some points :
> >- perl programs/scripts should still depend on perl (perl should be
> >  provided by perl5.005 even if perl may be a dummy package that would depend
> >  on the latest perl => if a package depend on a specific perl they'll need
> >  to change the dependency to perl5.005 or we may encounter problems
> >  with versionned provides !)
>
> Actually, they should depend on perl5 if they don't need a specific
> version.  My plan is to send a message to debian-devel proposing perl5
> as a virtual package.  This isn't necessary since all the versions of
> Perl are by definition co-operating packages.

The problem is that the upstream perl maintainers have proven that we
can NOT count on perl5.006 being compatible with perl5.005 in any major
way..

As such the major version of 5 is misleading, the major number should
probably be considered 5004 and 5005, or some variation..

> >- there is currently no policy for the possible perl-thread, but that can
> >  be easily added when perl-thread will be packaged
>
> My current plan is to implement perl-thread in the same way
> that perl-debug is implemented, just with more files.  Since I haven't
> done it yet, I don't know if it will work.  We'll see.

I'd much rather see the perl threading stuff done as just another perl
version, enforcing that different 'major' (5004, 5005) versions are /NOT/
to be considered compatible with one another..

<snip>
> John Lapeyre, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
> >	I do see a problem though.  What about scripts ?  Scripts should all
> >point to /usr/bin/perl, but we need simultaneous versions of perl.  I guess
> >/etc/alternatives can only point to one perl at a time.  But some scripts
> >will need different versions depending on which modules they are using. I am
> >confused, maybe I don't understand something.
>
> Well, yes, all general scripts should point to /usr/bin/perl.  If you
> need a specific version of Perl though, you can either use
> /usr/bin/perl$(version) or if you only need that version or higher, you
> can add 'use $(version);' instead (or even as well).

ANYTHING which can't afford to break horribly if /usr/bin/perl points to
the threaded perl, or some incompatible new version of perl, should use
some means to be sure that what it uses is something which is known
good...

> Darren
>
> P.S. I'm sorry I've been such a lame-ass about updating Perl.  I am on
> meds for my ADD (bupropion HCl.  Unfortunately, I needed to do lots of
> work for my paying job and make them happy first.  But more things are
> under control now.

I understand, I've had some, interesting, medical problems my self, not
fun..

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801