Re: Perl modules and perl upgrade

Le Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 07:32:11AM -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull écrivait:
> If it needs external modules I'm going to suggest that such programs use
> a specific perl binary...

It's not reasonnable. Perl scripts shoud always use /usr/bin/perl which is
the perl the admin wanted to have. If a script uses a module, the dependency
against a specific perl version is implicit (the module will depend on
the latest perl).

> > Does it make sense to set the unversioned perl library path to be last
> > in @INC in perl5.005, so any modules that were not upgraded will be
> > found there ?
>
> No, there are some massive issues with that which makes it more of a
> headache then (IMHO) its worth..
> (Incompatible stuff, among other things)

Heu ? Added at the end of @INC is a good thing imho. Because packages that
have been updated will use the new modules and other packages may be found
in the old directory (and may work if the module is architecture-independant).
But I will say nothing if /usr/lib/perl5 won't be in @INC ...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/