Re: We can halve volume by not allowing nondevelopers to post

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Oscar Levi wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 01:52:00PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Several people have claim that my suggestion to close -devel to
> > nondeveloper postings only makes sense if I consider all those
> > postings to be valueless.

If the developers do not monitor debian-user (or an equivalent list)
as a matter of course this is indeed the case.  Outside input is
an absolute necessity for any organization performing a task that
is intended to have an impact on people outside the organization.

That said, _subscriber_ only posting is probably a good idea.  If someone
cannot even be bothered to subscribe to the list before posting
to it the quality of their input is suspect.

> [deletia]
>
> On reading this thread, I find my sympathy lies with Ian.  Volume is a
> big problem for me and lists.  I recently enabled a mail sorter and
> started to use mutt.  These things help, but I don't have time to wade
> through d-devel with adequate care.  It's coming close to the volume
> of l-kernel but the content tends toward politics instead of technical
> issues.

Volume on linux-kernel is indeed a problem, and this has been
hacked to death repeatedly in discussions there.  Generally, anyone
who is subscribed to the group is aware of the volume problem.
People who are _not_ subscribed to the group post irrelevant,
off-topic, and flame-bait messages as often as not.  For various
reasons that I wish I did not comprehend, it was decided some
time ago to not restrict postings from non-list-members. So
my subscription comes and goes on that list, even though I have
done kernel development work and maintain an interest in it.

 HOWEVER. There have been valid, useful, and informative messages
posted by non-developers on linux-kernel that would not have been
heard were a "developers only" policy in place there.

So, my $.02 for what it is worth.

Dan Taylor (e-mail for PGP key)