Re: Clueless users are bad for debian (was Let's CENSOR it!)

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 01:22:14PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> > You'll notice that none of the Gnome *applications* are 1.0, in fact
> > gnome-apt is 0.3, so they are all firmly in the "don't whine" category
> > anyway.
>
> Which, IMO, meant that the GNOME team shouldn't have released 'GNOME 1.0'.
> *sigh*.  I fear that it will give the project a bad name.

Worse, it's been giving the development model a bad name.  I've heard a
few too many suits tell me now that they're sure the Open Source model
fails miserably for apps, with GNOME cited as an example of that and tell
me that we should stick to kernels and archaic cmdline utils..  =p

They also claim that KDE's stability has come from Troll Tech, whose Qt
library has been kept out of our hands until now.

Needless to say, they don't have much faith and they're looking for an
excuse, but GNOME is a very high profile project and to release a "1.0
stable release" now is irresponsible of the coders working on it.

<Culus> there is 150 meg in the /tmp dir! DEAR LORD