Re: Clueless users are bad for debian (was Let's CENSOR it!)

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:

> Worse, it's been giving the development model a bad name.  I've heard a
> few too many suits tell me now that they're sure the Open Source model
> fails miserably for apps, with GNOME cited as an example of that and tell
> me that we should stick to kernels and archaic cmdline utils..  =p
>
> They also claim that KDE's stability has come from Troll Tech, whose Qt
> library has been kept out of our hands until now.>
>
> Needless to say, they don't have much faith and they're looking for an
> excuse, but GNOME is a very high profile project and to release a "1.0
> stable release" now is irresponsible of the coders working on it.

<flamefest>
Remember that this is free software, and we are all in it for our own
reasons. We don't necessarily care what your suits think. We wrote the
code and we can put whatever number we like on it. For you to judge us
pisses me off, actually. By what right do you do so? What is this
"responsibility" you are blabbering about? To who? You?

I wasn't even significantly involved with the core apps and libraries for
the last few months of stabilization, but I observed it all and watched
all the patches fly by on the CVS list. I'll defend the people who were
involved.

Miguel had to make a decision about when to release. Many factors were
considered. One of them wasn't Joseph Carter's months-later hindsight. Ask
me if I give a damn.
</flamefest>

Havoc