Re: splitting debian

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 05:44:15PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > The problem is that our sound section contains only five (5) MB of
> > packages. It would say it would be downright outrageous if someone
> > distributed only that on one CD :)
>
> You need to split at a much higher level, and give each new subset
> its own sections. Simple example:
>
>     subset                 sections
>
>     debian-base            admin, base, devel, libs, etc.
>     debian-science         astro, biology, electronics, math, etc.
>     debian-docs            manuals, tutorials, religous
>     debian-multimedia      3D, animation, editors, sounds

We should make all of the mentioned stuff available if we can. But we
must tend to satisfy majority of (computer using) population, thus
generalizing everything, while leaving everyone option to divide (and
make the division as easy as possible BTW). Now we can painlessly add
another (new) layer to the FTP archive (well, it could be painful for
Guy, James or Richard :) and let it be developed because there is some
number of people that could make some use of it.

When we come to point where splitting *existing* structure would be
critical because of the size, there will be new media that will
resolve our problems. I bet that when Debian 3.5 grows up to 2.5GB,
4.7GB large DVD discs will be commonly used.

Now, if I was a biologist, a car mechanic, a samba dancer, I wouldn't
be completely satisfied with default Debian - but I wouldn't blame
Debian for that. I'd try to customize it for my specific needs, find
someone to burn me a CD with my stuff or something, not try to propagate
that into main Debian dist.

I'm probably overseeing some important argument about this, but can't
seem to remember which...?