Re: Plan for device detection for installation

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:
> > We can not use the normal filesystem operations because we will have to do a
> > fsck after reboot. The only alternative I can think of:
>
> 6. Abuse a swap-partition ?

Nice idea.  This would allow the root partition to be mounted
read-only during the detection, which is good to avoid unnecessary
fsck.

Another option would involve writing to a previously stuffed file,
using raw writes to the disk device.  Does anyone knows how LILO
manages to find the raw sectors associated to a file?.

Regards,

M. S.
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co