Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 02:10:35PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Let's do something more general - create a whole new section in range of
> main, contrib and non-free - called data. In it we can have subsections
> like 'earth', 'space', 'roadmaps', 'books', 'encyclopaedia' etc.
> That way we don't add one more >50MB section in binary-$ARCH (we already
> have devel which really piss some people off), and enable ourselves
> better distinction between types of data.
> The functionality we lose with it, is distinction between DFSG-free,
> non-free and non-free-dependant packages - but DFSG applies to programs
> not pure data, and documents may have a few additional restrictions the
> way I see it.

Perhaps what we need to do is what Christian Schwarz suggested ages ago;
have a core system, and various add-on discs (like one for multimedia,
one for science, etc).

I've found the best way to deal with Debian on multiple CDs is
to use multiple CD-ROM drives with apt. Works nicely, but I don't suppose
most people have multiple drives easily accessible for this.

Hamish