Re: gcc 2.8.x

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 22:58:36 +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> I saw in egcs' newest changelog that Joel Klecker changed its gcc compiler
> to be the default compiler in potato, instead of gcc 2.7.2.3.

Potato will release with a 2.2.x kernel, taking away the need to stick with
2.7.2.3 as the C compiler.

> On related note, will potato include gcc 2.8.1 (or any newer version)?

Not unless someone volunteers to package it. EGCS is an improvement over gcc
2.8.1 in just about every aspect.

> Are there any important arguments pro EGCS (et contra gcc 2.8.x)?

Yes. EGCS is actively maintained; FSF gcc isn't. For example, about half the
C++ bugs reported for EGCS 1.0.3 (which was still quite close to gcc 2.8.x)
have been fixed in EGCS 1.1.1 already.

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 16:05:42 -0600, David Starner wrote:
> Also, are we going to have gcc 2.7.2 in potato? (It might be nice for
> those who still run Linux 2.0) If not, shouldn't we remove g++2.7.2?

I hope to find time to rework the gcc 2.7.2 packages to use it as a
secondary C compiler to (the way "egcc" was on i386 up till now).

Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,