Re: Perl 5.005 package

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 02:07:54AM -0800, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:
<snip>
> One last thing though.  We'll have to keep the perl package around for
> perpetuity in case someone upgrades later.

Annoying, but not fatal..

> This will also have the principle of greatest surprise when someone
> naively installs the perl package.

Except that the perl package can have a nice priority extra, with a disc
something along the lines of:

(blatantly stolen from xbase and modified slightly)

--START--
perl - perl upgrade convenience package

Between Debian 2.1 ("slink") and 2.2 ("potato") the perl packages were
reorganized; this package exists solely to smooth the transition for
people upgrading from Debian 2.1 or earlier.

Once this package has been installed it may be removed at any time; it
contains no programs, libraries, or documentation.

If any package keeps you from removing this one due to dependencies
please report it as a bug.
--END--

A little annoying, but livable.. (=:]

> Sorry to be so boneheaded about this.  I've just not been able to think
> in dpkg terms lately.  Thanks for all your help.

Don't worry about it, I've done much, much, worse at times..

> Darren

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801