Re: Perl 5.005 package

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 03:23:54AM -0800, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:
<snip>
> 1) Currently Perl 5.004 has files in /usr/lib/perl5/*.  The package is
>    named perl.
> 2) Perl 5.005 will have files in /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/*.  The package
>    will be named perl.
> 3) The new Perl 5.004 will have files in /usr/lib/perl5/*.  The package
>    will be named perl5.004.
>
> As I mentioned above, there is a need for the current Perl package to be
> name perl.  dpkg has too many heartaches with it as well as it being
> rather inelegant.  I don't want to have to go the gtk route with all the
> versions.  A perl5.005 package will be available for when the perl
> package becomes 5.006.

No, I'm sorry, I'm not doing well at communicating this..

The new perl goes into the perl5.005 package now..
The perl (and perl-base I think) packages will be real packages, with no
files, all they do is depend on perl5.004, they will have a real version
(so perl5.005 can conflict with the older perl packages which don't use
alternatives to manage the perl binary, and so packages which depend on
perl won't be broken)..

As soon as its out there dark can update lintian to catch packages which
depend on the 'perl' packages as buggy, and bugs can be filed to have
them update their depends to perl5.004 or perl5.005, as they see fit..

No problems with dpkg's quirks, cleanly upgradable.. (=:]

Have I managed to be understandable this time?

Zephaniah E. Hull..

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801
    Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.