Re: Perl 5.005 package

Le Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 05:36:11PM -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull écrivait:
> No problems with dpkg's quirks, cleanly upgradable.. (=:]
>
> Have I managed to be understandable this time?

Ok, that would be the way for managing multiple perl on one system, but
that does'nt solve the possible breakage of the scripts that may
be used during the upgrade. An example is dpkg-ftp that I maintain, if you
install perl5.005 now on your system, you'll have no problem with dpkg-ftp
beacause I modified the script so that perl look at the right place
for the DpkgFtp module ... however when someone does an update of his
system (with slink dpkg-ftp) and for a reason X the install stop
before dpkg-ftp update but after perl has been installed, dpkg-ftp won't
work. Something similar and more embarrasing will appear with
the script update-inetd that won't work after the new perl has been
unpacked. This is the problem we have to solve. If the script update-inetd
fail, it's the complete upgrade that will fail because this script is used
in postints ...

The only solution is to make perl depend on all packages that does break
but that's not a nice solution (there are so many packages that will
break).

Cheers,
--
Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/