Re: Device detection?

On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 12:30:12AM -0600, Stephen Crowley wrote:

> Yes, I was wondering if it would be possible to do a brute force scan for
> some older legacy hardware. Just cycle through the i/o and irq ports for
> some commonly used hardware. Some devices might lock up on this though, so
> they would have to be installed manually.

Two other approaches:

1. modify the kernel to allow modules to autoprobe
2. do a "manual autoprobe" by loading each module with the parameters it uses
for autoprobing when compiled into the kernel (I think SuSE does something
like this).

I do not know from where modconf gathers the information about parameters and
description of a module but we should be able to add the parameters for
autoprobing to this database. Then modconf could have an option "autoprobe for
hardware".

Then we have to reorder the autoprobe to avoid crashes. Some cards behave very
badly if you try to detect another type of hardware in its memory/io region.

cu
    Torsten