Re: Device detection?

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 10:18:58PM -0500, Randolph Chung wrote:
> This is not my idea, and I'm not claiming credit for it. Someone brought
> this up in IRC. sorry i forgot who it was....
>
> What do people think about writing code that will derive users hardware
> information from the Windows registry? While this obviously doesn't work as
> well as real detection, it can potentially help a lot of people who are
> migrating from the Windows realm.
>
> Is this feasible? Are people interested in doing this? Is there
> documentation out there about the registry format?
>
> I'd be willing to work on this, though I probably won't get to it for a few
> weeks.
>
> comments welcome, flames to /dev/null please :)

It's not worth the trouble. 90% of todays hardware can be detected through
the pci bus and with isapnp. It would be relatively easy to implement.

We just need a list of PCI ids that work with each kernel mod, same with
isapnp ids.

|Stephen Crowley      stephenc@wf.net, crow@debian.org      |
|Debian GNU/Linux     http://www.debian.org                 |
|GPG Key              http://va.debian.org/~crow/public.key |